Band heaters are specifically designed to heat cylindrical surfaces and come with ring-shaped that use electrical conduction to transfer heat to the surface, although some types may also use a combination of electrical conduction and radiation. There are generally three types of band heaters but in this article, we are going to discuss Ceramic Band heaters in detail. Read ahead to know more about it.
Ceramic Band Heater Structure and Characteristics
Ceramic band heaters are created with spirally wound inner resistance coils that are evenly threaded through interlocking insulated ceramic tiles. This helps to create a flexible heating system that can efficiently transmit conduction and radiated heat. The ceramic core or "mat" as it is commonly referred to, of tiles is often housed beneath a stainless-steel sheet. This combined assembly of the Ceramic Band Heater offers flexibility and conduction efficiency with a radiated heat yield. The heat of the Ceramic Band originates from the inner coils. The heated coils evenly deliver heat through the ceramic tiles, radiating energy to the barrel. There are various Ceramic Band styles with customized configurations available.
There are a few things to keep in mind when selecting a ceramic heater.
- First, make sure it matches the wattage requirements. This will help decrease the frequency of cycling and temperature overshooting, and thereby increase the life of the heater.
- Second, if you're installing a ceramic band heater to replace a non-insulated heater, decrease the total operating wattage by approx. 15-20 percent.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your ceramic heater lasts for years to come.
Ceramic band heaters have an advantage over other types of heaters in that they can transfer heat through both conduction and radiation. This means that they don't have to be as tightly fitted to the barrel, and so they are less likely to have problems with thermal expansion.
Working Principle of Ceramic Band Heaters
There are a few different ways that heaters work, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks. In ceramic band heaters, the principle of resistive heating is used. This type of heater produces heat by passing an electric current through a conductor. In this case, the conductor is a ceramic plate. Ceramic has great thermal conductivity because it has a higher resistance to current. As current passes through the ceramic, it generates more heat. Ceramic heaters are made of ceramic plates that are attached to metal coils, which conduct heat. The heat is then absorbed by the ceramic plates and released into the air.
Advantages of Ceramic Band Heaters
The following advantages are offered by ceramic band heaters as compared to other types:
- Built-in insulation helps to keep the temperature inside the barrel consistent, no matter what the temperature is outside.
- Heat transfers in three ways- radiation, conduction, and convection. So, you don't need as perfect of a fit with this type of heater compared to others.
- Because they produce more heat per unit of area (higher watt densities), they can be used over a wider range.
- When it comes to heat transfers, you don't have to worry about things like an irregular surface or a loose fit - ceramic band heaters won't have any effect on the transfer itself.
- The number of bands required for a successful performance can be reduced by using simplified wiring techniques.
- Band heaters have an external surface that is cooler than the internal heater, making them a safer option to use.
- The design is flexible, so it's easy to install and remove.
- They have longer heat life because all the materials used are rated to be used at high temperatures.
Applications of Ceramic Band Heaters
- Injection molding machine
- Blow molding machine
- Extrusion line
- Various termination styles
The Bottom Line
At Marathon Heaters, they take pride in producing high-quality ceramic band heaters. These heaters are put through a series of quality checks to ensure they meet our high standards and the expectations of their valued customers. With the high demand for their heaters, they always produce only the best products and deliver in India as well as abroad. This way, the quality is guaranteed of their heaters and provides peace of mind for the customers. Visit: Everything That You Need to Know About Cartridge Heaters